How the FIFA World Cup got me invested in soccer:
By Michael Ugwueke
The 2026 FIFA World Cup is in the books, and it was an amazing tournament filled with chaos, excitement, and tense moments from Argentina's come-from-behind wins against England and Egypt, the unexpected rise of Cape Verde, and the exciting finals between Spain and Argentina that ended with Spain winning their second World Cup. We also saw the final World Cup for Cristiano Ronaldo and Luka Modric, and possibly the farewell of Messi, but the biggest bullet point for me is that we also had record attendance and viewership, with the final alone watched by 66 million viewers here in the States.
But for me, this was the moment I finally got invested in soccer. And I have to thank my uncle for that. You see, for years prior, I had played soccer but didn't watch it or play video games. But then, while I was watching the NBA finals with my uncle, who was from Nigeria and visiting us for a while, he told me I should watch soccer. I said I had a little, but not much. He said I should because soccer is the biggest sport in the world, and that I was missing out, and I could enjoy it. I decided what do i have to lose. So I did watch the entire World Cup, and it was a life-changing experience. I loved the excitement, action, and intensity. But what complexity drew me in was the sheer unpredictability. It wasn’t just the traditional powerhouses like England, France, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, and others, and stars like Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, Pulisic, etc. It was also about the stories that touched every corner. Like the rise of teams like Cape Verde. I'll admit, I thought soccer was slow and boring, not as exciting as football or basketball, but the tournament made me realize it's also a game of high-stakes chess played at lightning speed. I enjoyed Argentina's knockout run. Argentina fell behind by two goals. I thought they were dead in the water, but watching Lionel Messi orchestrate a late comeback before Enzo Fernández buried a dramatic stoppage-time header completely blew my mind. Then they did it again in the semifinals against England, weathering an early English goal and exploiting Thomas Tuchel’s ultra-defensive tactics to storm back and win 2-1.
No comments:
Post a Comment